Nana Recipe Wednesday–Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake
Rhubarb season! I do love it and often try to find new recipes or ways to use it. Color me surprised to find that Nana had a retro-tastic rhubarb recipe to take out for a test drive. The recipe itself is marked with the words “very good”.
I’m not really sure how to describe this. It’s uh…interesting, to say the least. It’s got a lot of classic ’50’s ingredients. Except the fresh rhubarb, which in it’s own way, blows my mind. Whatever, there’s at least one fresh thing in there so I gave it a shot.
Well, this cake is simple to make if nothing else. It was a bit sweet for my taste, and if this gets made again, I’d likely skip the cup of sugar–the Jell-O is probably sweet enough. I’ll have to say though, it wasn’t bad. You could also add strawberries to the bottom layer.
Nana never fails to amaze.
Nana's Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake
- 5 cups (approximately 2 lbs) rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 6-ounce box strawberry Jell-O
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 box white cake mix, prepared according to package directions
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 Pyrex pan.
- Spread cut rhubarb in the prepared pan. Sprinkle sugar over the rhubarb. Then sprinkle dry Jell-O over the sugar. Scatter marshmallows over Jell-O layer. Pour on the prepared cake mix, and spread to the edges of the pan.
- Bake for 55 minute, approximately, or until the cake is fully baked (the toothpick test will actually work on this).
- Cool and serve with whipped cream or ice cream.