Nana Recipe Wednesday–Beef Salad with Broccoli and Asparagus
Nana’s a little late today, but hey, better late than never. I pulled this recipe out of the recipe box not expecting much from it–but guys, it was so good! It’s totally going into regular rotation. The leftovers make a terrific lunch. I should know, I tested them out for you while sitting in my cubicle in front of my computer.
There’s Nana above with her friend Lenore and our former exchange student, Takako in Japan. I am hoping to visit Japan next year! Who’s been? I need advice.
The other cool thing about this recipe is that you just quickly broil this steak. I kind of forgot about broiling steaks, even though I grew up eating broiled steak at least weekly. A quick broil with salt and pepper made this flank steak perfectly cooked and perfectly tender. Just don’t forget to rest it and slice it against the grain.
You can make this ahead too, the veggies just get better the longer they sit in the ginger dressing. Thanks Nana! This one’s a real winner.
Nana's Beef Salad with Broccoli and Asparagus
- FOR SALAD:
- 1 small flank steak (mine was about 1 lb)
- 4 cups asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 bunch broccoli, cut into florets
- salt, pepper
- toasted sesame seeds
- GINGER DRESSING:
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup white vinegar (I used white wine vinegar)
- 1 1/2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tsp sugar
- ground white pepper
- 2-3 Tbsp grapeseed or vegetable oil
- Mix ingredients together for dressing. Set aside.
- Season the steak with salt and pepper.
- Broil the steak on high on the top rack, till browned on both sides, approximately 3 minutes per side.
- Blanch the vegetables separately in a large saute pan in about an inch of water. Cook until tender-crisp. Drain and rinse until cooled so they do not get overcooked.
- Place vegetables in a serving bowl.
- After resting, slice the steak against the grain into thin slices. Add to vegetables.
- Pour dressing over and toss. Taste for seasoning, adjust if needed.
- Toss with sesame seeds.