- The last time I updated you, I barely had some walls up and still no floor. Lots has happened since that time, people! We got a floor! You can see in the photo above where I was trying to figure out a pattern. We used vinyl composite tile (VCT), which is very inexpensive and so versatile! Plus, if one gets screwed up you can just pry it up and slap another one in there.
- We primed and painted the walls and ceiling! Most of it is white, but the back wall is that coral color of my previous Formica (RIP). We weren’t really sure about the color when it first went up, but now I love it. It looks great against the floor and I can’t wait to hang up my art and other stuff.
- The new fridge was delivered! It was my 2nd choice, but the fact that the Fischer and Paykel model I had my heart set on didn’t have an ice maker was a deal breaker. This one is made by Samsung and is counter-depth, giving me a few more precious inches of kitchen. And it’s shiny white. Another plus? It was $400 cheaper than the F&P. I love it. It’s going to be much easier to keep clean. And hopefully, random condiments and leftovers won’t get lost in the back of the thing.
- The stove is SPOTLESS! Since the stove was out on the back porch and all, I took the opportunity to take it all apart and give it a good scrubbing. I wish we could afford a new one but I’ll get the stove I want eventually. Ours has plenty of life left in her.
- Cabinets are in! They need some finishing touches and some clean up, but they look pretty and more importantly–there’s more of them and all the doors actually close. It’s just the little things, people.
- If you’ll draw your attention to the space between the stove and the fridge, you’ll notice that there are now some cabinets instead of the metro rack that we’ve had to use for the last ten years. Gathering dust. FYI: Metro shelves are hard to clean gunk and dust off of. We topped that side with butcher block from IKEA–it’s going to be a lovely workspace next to the stove.
- Did you see the new window? It’s double-hung so I can open it from the top while I’m cooking. No more Delta breezes coming in and blowing out my flames on the stove. It’s actually a little bigger now, too.
- LIGHTS. Globe lights! My favorite things. Globe lights remind me of Nana and Boppa’s house! Globe lights make me think of Eichler houses! Globe lights also remind me of my beloved Casper’s Hot Dogs! I love love love globe lights. I found these on the Home Depot website for next to nothing. What is better than mid-century loveliness AND a bargain? Practically nothing.
So that’s it for now, folks. Our new Wilsonart laminate has been ordered, so by this time next week I might have counters all around. And maybe even a sink again! You know I’ll keep you posted….