Ooey Gooey Cheesy Creamy-Potato and Leek Gratin.
These potatoes were so darn good I made them twice.
Just look at them. Can you blame me?
I highly recommend using a mandoline
. I also recommend you use the hand guard so you don’t chop your fingers off. These gadgets are sharp, baby. If you don’t have one, just try to keep the slices as thin and uniform as you can make them by hand.
The version on top used leeks and white cheddar, the version on the bottom in the red Dansk dish used green beans, white cheddar and Gruyere. Both were delicious. Give them a try!
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 cups sliced leeks, cleaned
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 lbs. Sierra Gold, Yukon Gold or Russet potatoes, thinly sliced (and peeled if using Russet)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups white cheddar
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375*.
- Melt the 1/4 cup butter in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add leeks and stir to coat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until leeks are tender, 5-8 minutes. Uncover and cook until liquid is mostly absorbed, 2 minutes longer.
- Mix cream and garlic in a large liquid measuring cup, or small bowl.
- Grease a 9x13 or other oven-proof dish with the remaining Tbsp butter. Arrange 1/2 of potatoes in the prepared dish. Season generously with salt and pepper. Cover with leeks. Sprinkle with half of the cheddar cheese. Pour half the cream mixture over. Repeat layering with remaining potatoes, cheddar and cream. Sprinkle Parmesan on top.
- Let stand one hour before baking. (At this point, potatoes can be refrigerated up to 6 hours. Bring back to room temperature before baking)
- Bake potatoes until tender and top is deep golden brown, about 1 hour. Let rest 15 minutes at room temperature before serving.